Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Monkeys

During our trip to Alishan I finally got to see Taiwan Monkeys in the wild. This is only the second time I've ever seen monkeys in the wild. The last time was in Indonesia on the island of Sumatra many, many years ago.

These monkeys look cute but actually, the dominant male scared the shit out me by jumping right up to me and making threatening facial expressions (sorry, no photos). I was worried about getting bit...

A little bit about the monkeys. Macacus monkeys living in Taiwan have hit 250,000, Taiwan's local media reported on Wednesday (March 8, 2001). The media said that local agriculture officials have delivered a report to conservation experts saying that Macacus monkeys inhabit Taiwan's broad-leaved forests at altitudes of between 500 and 1,500 meters. The officials said Macacus monkeys usually stick together during the day, and the largest observed group had 75 of the animals. Because of their status as a rare species, citizens in Taiwan who hurt the monkeys face prison terms of between six months and five years as well as a fine ranging from 200,000 new Taiwan dollars (US$6,000) to 1 million new Taiwan dollars (US$30, 000).
(reminds me of my younger brother...hardy har har)

1 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

Cool pictures.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home