Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Polishing the Stones and Disaster...


Last Sunday we went to James' factory and worked at polishing the stones that we found during our two outings of rock hunting. The stones need to be polished to bring out the Taiwan jade and the metal. I'm not sure what the metal is but it could be zinc or brass.

After polishing we drill a hole in the stone so it can be worn around your neck.

There is one more step. We need to heat and wax the stone. This is where I made my big mistake. I heated the stone for too long. I put it in the oven for 15 minute and the Taiwan jade turned brown. the metal also dulled. I''m bummed. The stone you see sitting on the cardboard is so much more beautiful now than after I stuck it in the oven.

Apparently, I misunderstood and should have only put it in the oven for a few minutes. We'll polish it again this week and see what happens. Bummer.





Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger teamfunbaby said...

if you repolish the same stone, can you rbing the color back or does the heat permanently change the color forever? that is cool, i had no idea what the stonesearching was for...cool about the metal in the rocks too. do you know what type of geological stuff made this happen? are they metamorphic? coolio! from the cpiture persepctive it does not look all that different, awesome you gusy are doing this, is this like a class ir anyone can just go and do this?
LOVED your comments about mass etc...
aloha

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home