Sunday, May 20, 2007

New Teaching Position



On Friday I went to Future Heir Bilingual Elementary School in Taichung and did a teaching demo for the principal and others. I signed a contract for next year NTD $10,000 increase in my salary or about US $340 per month. Not bad. I also substituted a class while I was there - 3rd grade - 40 minutes for NTD $500. I'll be teaching social studies, math, science (if the I teach grades 1 or 2) and English. Grammar is taught by the Chinese homeroom teacher. The Chinese homeroom teacher and I share the classroom.
The students are high-level English speakers and most seemed fluent. Most spoke better English than some students in the US. I read a chapter from Narnia to the third grade. They understood. The class size range from 13 to a maximum of 18.
I'll be living in Annie's apartment in Taichung. She will live there part-time too. It's about a 15 minute walk from the school. There is a gym and a pool nearby. The inside of our apartment is nice but the location is noisy with traffic. It'll be okay for a year or two.
Perhaps a new blog - Life in Taiwan, Chapter Two; Taichung, will be appropriate.

3 Comments:

Blogger teamfunbaby said...

first, i will be in tiachung probably this year sometiem as i got the nsf grant
second: congratulations: you guys get to live together and nice new job...hey is the price of living so much less?
third: you get to walk to school. right on...
four: gym nd pool, way yo go getting the excercise :)
so life sounds good i taiwan for teacher gerry and i am stoked for you!

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on the new job. sounds like good news right? Also, regarding your previous entry on changes, I can relate, as you know.You just got to keep your eye on the goal that you were looking for and got!
Love, Judy
PS Typhoon season coming, I see

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there,

i plan on moving to taiwan to teach English in August and am currently in contact with Future-Heir. how are things going? liking it ok?

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home